Monday, December 5, 2011

It is okay?

It is no surprise, especially considering my upbringing and my history of sartorial trend since I could dress myself consciously (tomboy), that I primarily have a preoccupation for menswear. Yet, something inside me -- guilt I think -- makes me feel slightly uncomfortable with that fact considering the history and nature of oppression of women, and the pervasive undertones of patriarchy in general within society.

I love men's clothing, but what I detest is that it is called "menswear," all that suiting from ties, oxfords, chambray, blazers, trousers etc. I love it all. It's my favourite. But I can't ameliorate the fact that of these staple items in my wardrobe are also dominated by men's fashion as a whole. However, I should carefully note the blurring of gender boundaries in recent years, particularly the term: androgynous / androgynism coined to refer the lack of femininity, a departure of the former towards the masculinity; it may appear a reclaiming of the feminine self, guided by the inner testosterone that is present in all humans.  But, in that vein it still feels unjustified, it still feels like it has that previous andro-centric clutch, andro meaning: "Man." Even GQ has a bit called, "Like the Boys" section where women dress up "like the boys."

Now what to do about this disconcertion? Sigh, I'm not sure where I am going with this; I can't fight an inherent dichotomy. I guess, what I'm trying to say that I wish there weren't the negative feelings about dressing androgynous. I worry, but I want to paint the picture clearly: that whatever I am wearing doesn't make me less of a feminist but rather makes me in charge of what I am wearing everyday, that I try to make a deliberate choice free of male chauvinism; because really, I love it all. But, I love it on me more because I am a woman who doesn't give a fuck, and I'm making the fashion decorum better like the rest of them girls/guys/trans/bis/etc, too. I hope this entry vindicates myself of the guilt -- if it is that.


No comments:

Post a Comment