Thursday, June 7, 2012

Living with Artemis




Some people don't understand what having a dog is like, especially a Weimaraner. I write this post in defence against anyone who has never owned a dog or to someone who doesn't understand a breed outside of a retriever/poodle/shitzu (insert common family dog here) that has criticized me. I get the feeling that people think I coddle her, that I can't leave her alone because I choose not to leave her alone. They lack understanding of owning a domesticated animal. No one understands that Weimaraners are notorious for their neurotic disposition, and when left alone they become destructive and extremely vocal (cries loudly), and can't cope well because they have been ingrained to be pack animals. This is her separation anxiety. People see her attachment to me as endearing -- I do not. She's a dog that operates unlike most other breeds.

Neighbours complain or think I'm torturing her when I try to train her to be more independent. I am trying so hard to ebb her separation anxiety, but the process is challenging because you are essentially "correcting" one's biological makeup. Any attempt to modify their behaviour has to be beaten out of them. A (mild) feat isn't a great one because ultimately the condition never fully goes away.

Another thing I struggle with, aside from not being able to leave the house for long than a few hours, is having her not sleep in the same bed as me. She's a sucker for sleeping underneath covers; she has a thin coat and gravitates toward heat. I've grown way too comfortable having her in my bed. It only became apparent to me how abnormal it is to have a dog sleep with you in their bed; I guess I completely normalized the behaviour because I've been sleeping as a single for so long. While in Vancouver, it was another story (she slept in her crate) and I was sharing the bed with someone. I suppose I understand the criticisms: stinky and dirty dog paws, dirt, shedding, ... But I love her, she is great. I love this hyper-genic culture we live in; everything has to be so damn "clean." What's wrong with a little bit of dog love?

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is simply this: It's easy to criticise someone's life when you're on the outside. And, it is only until you find yourself in a similar situation if not the same that you realize how fucking hypocritical you are. It's so goddamn easy to judge someone from the outside without knowing the entire circumstance. Really, it's unfair judgment.

I wrote this because I was criticised by a dick who had the audacity to tell me how disgusting it is that my dog sleeps in the same bed as me. He made me feel self-conscious at the time, but now, I'm just pissed. I shouldn't have to defend how I love her and how I like my dog to be treated.

I love her and we are a good duo.

I'm very attached to my love for Artemis. You would be too if she were your dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment