Monday, December 3, 2012

To be humbled.

A few days ago I was confronted with a glaring example of prejudice on my part and others. It's natural course of human behaviour yet I was embarrassed that I could be so cold and judgmental, and neglected to see that what you see on the surface is obviously shallow facet of an individual. Not to justify my actions or speak on behalf of others but I feel that sometimes we get so wrapped up in stereotypes and trivial superficiality that we forget reality, and have to realize that our lives can be vastly different from others. Our sense of normalcy is purely a vague absolute.

Someone walking differently, limping or in a wheelchair, or dressed differently, whether in several layers or inappropriately, there is always a reason for it, and to sweep to negative judgment is unfair. I felt so disgusted with myself after what transpired between myself and a man.

He was an older gentleman. He walked differently and dressed differently, and because of his gait he immediately provoked suspicion among staff members. I was rushed upstairs during my break; I volunteered myself to go and monitor him because I felt the urgency to make sure he wasn't shop lifting, almost a chance to be heroic.

I approached the man, and watched him attentively and after a few minutes he gave me two shoes he wanted to try on. I went downstairs, muttering to myself that I knew he wouldn't buy the shoes. I began to fit him in the shoes, giving him few options of sizes. Naturally, while interacting, we started to talk as you do to pass time and understand the person's wants (if they have any). Instantly, I could feel his calm and his gentleness and his affability. There was nothing hostile or malicious from him being in the store. I felt like such a disgusting human being to be so obstinate with my opinion on someone who I didn't even know.

He talked to me about his brother and his farm and all the baby animals on the farm (I love baby animals!!!), and he talked to me about his injury to his back, which was the reason for his limp. He said he wanted to buy his brother a pair of shoes too. You know how you can just tell that someone is a good person, like how dogs smell that something is awry, another sense. Well, he was a very loving person. I could just tell.

After some time of chatting, fitting, and getting to know him, he decided to buy some boots. I have to note that the shoes he decided to purchase are made by a company known for their eccentric designs generally priced over $400, and to see this ordinary man buy these shoes is kind of amazing.

He was so incredibly gracious for my help that I was humbled immensely.

I have to remind myself that kindness is manifested in people that transcends the surface and shallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment